I had 12 pieces leftover tuyoÂ (dried fish) in the fridge that I havenâ€™t cooked yet. Â Donâ€™t want these to be â€˜Exhibit Aâ€™ for the next few weeks and so I thought I should make tuyo fried rice.
I vividly recall how the kid struggled to take out the tuyo meat off the bones the last time I cooked them (that was Good Friday!) and I am just not the kind of mom who would do the dirty job for a 12-year old boy. Â (Sorry my dear sister who still removes prawn shells for my 21-year-old nephew.) Â So, if I’m on to itâ€¦ then I do it for everybody including me hehe.
I also thought it would take me no time to prep this. Â Fried rice is easy peasy. Â But this oneâ€¦ no. Â You need at least 15 minutes to fry the dried fish and it took me 20 freaking minutes to flake them. Â All together this fried rice dish took me an hour. Â Wellâ€¦ it doesnâ€™t really matter. Â Itâ€™s all worth it!
- 12 pcs of tuyo (dried fish)
- 3 eggs, beaten, slightly salted
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- Â½ cup frozen peas, washed
- Â½ cup diced carrots
- Steamed rice
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- A handful of fresh coriander sprigs (or spring onion ringlets)
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry tuyo until the scales are falling off on both sides and the smell is less fishy. Scoop out and set aside to cool. Meanwhile prepare all the other ingredients.
- Flake tuyo, getting rid of scales, heads and bones. Set aside.
- Heat a bit of oil in a wok. Scramble the eggs in the wok. Scoop out and set aside.
- Add a tbsp of oil in the wok. Fry cooked tuyo for about a minute to heat it up and make it a bit crunchy as desired. Scoop out and set aside with the cooked eggs.
- Add another tbsp. of oil in the wok. Add garlic and sautÃ© until fragrant. Add carrots and peas and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add cooked rice. Toss to combine with the peas and carrots. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce and freshly ground pepper. Toss carefully to mix all ingredients and seasoning. Stir-fry until rice is heated through.
- Turn off the heat. Toss in tuyo flakes and scrambled egg. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander sprigs.
21 thoughts on “Tuyo Fried Rice”
My family loves this, haha i don’t eat tuyo so i cannot appreciate it they often use other kinds of dried fish aside from tuyo
I usually use dilis because that’s much, much quicker to do .
you know what, the best way to remove the meat off easily, fry the tuyo, add a small amount of water and boil for 2-3 minutes. or wrap it in foil and steam. i “discovered” it because my mom finds ways to eat tuyo without me knowing it—bawal kc sa kanya. yon, di ko naamoy, kasi pala binalot nya sa foil and steamed it. LOL
i love tuyo fried rice.
Luna Miranda recently posted Afterglow/Sky-watch Friday
I will keep that in mind, thank you for that tip Luna
I can’t remember the last time I had tuyo but dannnggg this looks yummy, and such a great idea
Dexie recently posted Red Chunky Pork & Potatoes Curry
love LM’s tip up there in the comments, lol. i wouldn’t have thought of steaming tuyo. I love tuyo (or any other type of salted dried fish, usually), so I just know that I am going to like this dish! Adding oyster sauce to fried rice is new for me…got to give that a try sometime!
thanks so much for taking the time to share and link over at Food Friday, Iska
enjoy your weekend!
maiylah recently posted Food Friday
I love tuyo, and rice. Combining both as fried rice is surely delicious!
Can’t cook tuyo though in my apartment or I might clear the building unexpectedly. I’ll try wrapping it in tin foil as suggested above.
lamonsakusina recently posted Chicken Sisig
Wooden train serial toys used to be the favorite toys for a lot of generations of youngsters.
The market places of the days are flooded with a lot of such best Nerf guns my bars
within an enormous variety of varying designs made with different materials for a number of vehicles.
Nerf longshot ebay Some wooden toy box selections are turned into theme-related objects offering further entertainment for that curious child.
According towards the statistics of China Consumers’ Association,
the standard problems of kids toys are targeting some aspects.
If your kid is staying in a dorm, you can purchase a big storage bin that has enough space
to store toys and also the dorm bedding.
best Nerf guns my recently posted best Nerf guns my