I had 12 pieces leftover tuyoÂ (dried fish) in the fridge that I havenâ€™t cooked yet. Â Donâ€™t want these to be â€˜Exhibit Aâ€™ for the next few weeks and so I thought I should make tuyo fried rice.
I vividly recall how the kid struggled to take out the tuyo meat off the bones the last time I cooked them (that was Good Friday!) and I am just not the kind of mom who would do the dirty job for a 12-year old boy. Â (Sorry my dear sister who still removes prawn shells for my 21-year-old nephew.) Â So, if I’m on to itâ€¦ then I do it for everybody including me hehe.
I also thought it would take me no time to prep this. Â Fried rice is easy peasy. Â But this oneâ€¦ no. Â You need at least 15 minutes to fry the dried fish and it took me 20 freaking minutes to flake them. Â All together this fried rice dish took me an hour. Â Wellâ€¦ it doesnâ€™t really matter. Â Itâ€™s all worth it!
- 12 pcs of tuyo (dried fish)
- 3 eggs, beaten, slightly salted
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- Â½ cup frozen peas, washed
- Â½ cup diced carrots
- Steamed rice
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- A handful of fresh coriander sprigs (or spring onion ringlets)
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry tuyo until the scales are falling off on both sides and the smell is less fishy. Scoop out and set aside to cool. Meanwhile prepare all the other ingredients.
- Flake tuyo, getting rid of scales, heads and bones. Set aside.
- Heat a bit of oil in a wok. Scramble the eggs in the wok. Scoop out and set aside.
- Add a tbsp of oil in the wok. Fry cooked tuyo for about a minute to heat it up and make it a bit crunchy as desired. Scoop out and set aside with the cooked eggs.
- Add another tbsp. of oil in the wok. Add garlic and sautÃ© until fragrant. Add carrots and peas and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add cooked rice. Toss to combine with the peas and carrots. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce and freshly ground pepper. Toss carefully to mix all ingredients and seasoning. Stir-fry until rice is heated through.
- Turn off the heat. Toss in tuyo flakes and scrambled egg. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander sprigs.