Nope. Those are NOT chunks of sinful fatty pork.
With the kiddo at the school and his dad outstation… being home alone and cooking lunch for myself can be very challenging sometimes. I have to think about staying healthy to fight laziness otherwise I will be glued to my lappy all day. There’s leftover steak inside the fridge and I stumbled upon a huge eggplant in the vegetable rack. Hmm, that’s what I want. Still can’t get over with the hot chili oil I made the other day, I quickly concocted this salad dish.
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp ringlets of chopped spring onion
- Hot chili oil (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry eggplant cubes until golden brown and skin is crisp. Scoop them out, drain on paper towels and transfer into a serving platter.
- Discard some of the oil from your pan until you have just enough to saute onion rings.
- Cook onion until al dente. Add soy sauce and sugar. Turn off the heat.
- Combine the chopped spring onion and pour the mixture over cooked eggplant. Add as much chili oil as you like.
Voila! My lunch with rice and heated thin slices of steak on the sides.