Browned, crisp skin. Â Tender, succulent meat inside.
I like brushing melted butter with chopped herbs on the white meat. Â I also spend a few minutes to make homemade gravy and I have happy, satisfied boys eating next to me.
Basic Roast Chicken
Recipe type: Main
- 1k free range chicken, washed
- Freshly ground pepper
- Melted butter with chopped parsley to brush on cooked chicken (optional)
- Potatoes, cut into wedges (optional)
- Baby spinach leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 230 deg C.
- Dry chicken inside and out with paper towels. Rub the cavity with salt and pepper. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the insides of wings and thighs. Then truss the bird nice and tight. Then sprinkle salt and pepper all over. Place on a rack in a baking tray.
- In a bowl, mix 2 tbsp of olive oil with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add the potato wedges and mix to coat potatoes evenly. Arrange the potatoes around the chicken.
- Roast for 60 minutes (I usually follow 30 minutes per 500g). An option that I sometimes do is fan-grill setting at 190 deg C on the last 10 minutes. You may also remove the potatoes after 30 minutes or continue to roast with the chicken as desired.
- Remove chicken from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before removing the twine to serve with the baked potatoes and fresh salad greens. Beautiful when slapped with butter on white meat.
Prepare salad dressing, gravy or any sauce you want while chicken is in the oven. Or use the chicken juices on the pan to make your gravy. Dressing for the salad greens: 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp lemon juice, Â½ tsp Dijon mustard, salt and freshly ground pepper. How to make gravy: http://www.iskandals.com/eats/?p=6619