I always prepare the boyâ€™s packed lunch for school but once a month he gets to choose from the schoolâ€™s online range of healthy, yummy food.Â One of his favorites from the menu is Macaroni Cheese, which may be called Macaroni and Cheese in your part of the world.
Take note, my Filipino friends, if youâ€™re looking for the Filipino-style baked mac with tomato-based meat sauce, this is not it.Â But itâ€™s worth a tryâ€¦ a lot easier to make and your kids will surely love it.
2 cups macaroni elbows
3 tbsp butter
1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
6 pcs bacon
3 tbsp flour
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Bacon bits (optional)
Cook macaroni elbows until al dente according to packet instructions.Â Drain and set aside.Â Then preheat oven to 200 deg C.
Melt butter in a large saucepan.Â Cook onion and bacon lightly for about 3 minutes.Â In the meantime, heat milk slightly in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
Carefully blend in flour into the saucepan.Â Gradually stir in heated milk, then add salt and mustard.Â Bring to boil.
Stir in 1 cup grated cheese and simmer for about 5 minutes.Â Turn off the heat.Â Add macaroni and mix to coat pasta evenly with the sauce.Â Transfer into a well-greased baking tray.Â Sprinkle with 1 cup of grated cheese and bacon bits.
Bake at 200 deg C for about 20 minutes or until cheese is nicely browned.
- 2 cups macaroni elbows
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 6 pcs bacon
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Bacon bits (optional)
- Cook macaroni elbows until al dente according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside. Then preheat oven to 200 deg C.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Cook onion and bacon lightly for about 3 minutes. In the meantime, heat milk slightly in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Carefully blend in flour into the saucepan. Gradually stir in heated milk, then add salt and mustard. Bring to boil.
- Stir in 1 cup grated cheese and simmer for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add macaroni and mix to coat pasta evenly with the sauce. Transfer into a well-greased baking tray. Sprinkle with 1 cup of grated cheese and bacon bits.
- Bake at 200 deg C for about 20 minutes or until cheese is nicely browned.
6 thoughts on “Easy Baked Macaroni and Cheese”
Appetising photos! Nothing more comforting than mac and cheese.
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted Dark Chocolate Cheesecake with Chocolate Ganache
oooh, sarap! going to try your recipe! bookmarked again!
thanks much for sharing and linking over at Food Friday, Iska
maiylah recently posted #Giveaway: Fagor Chef Pressure Cooker (11/22-12/06, US only)
Wow! Now, I’m craving for Baked Macaroni and Cheese! I will try to cook this one! Pahiram ng recipe ha if ever! Thanks in advance!
Rackell recently posted Certified Wife Cooked: Chicken Cordon Bleu
i have to try this one! i love eating baked macaroni,but i dont’ have any idea on how to cooked it. Thanks for this recipe,
i like this better than the mac & cheese with tomato sauce…cheese and more cheese for me.:p
Luna Miranda recently posted Wonder/Sky-Watch
I love mac ‘n’ cheese! Never knew there’s a tomato sauce-based Pinoy one but will try that too.:)
Oggi recently posted Chicken Confit