I was never a sweet-eater but even with low-sugar intake I still developed gestational diabetes when I was carrying the kiddo. Mahirap na din talaga ‘pag may lahi ano? So it’s always in the back of my mind that I have to limit how much sugar gets into my system. But I guess age has finally taken a toll on me; I get sugar cravings once in a while. I can get real mad about certain type of chocolates – truffles and mean dark ones. A now could entice me with his yummy ice creams. I crave soft delicate brownies. And now I can’t stop myself from making Filipino desserts! I don’t normally care about all these. Iniisnab ko nga ‘yan sa mga parties.
One night while I was watching Project Runway, I just suddenly grabbed ingredients from the pantry to make pastillas de leche. I had been planning on doing chocolate-dusted pastillas ala-truffles by Joy but I was too lazy and so I quickly googled and saw Vanjo’s version. Pwede naman pala hindi lutuin. I said to myself I would try cooking the mixture some other day but not this time. I made just enough to satisfy my cravings. By the time the catwalk started, I was already munching. Hope my blood sugar won’t spike up anytime soon.
So here goes with a little tweak.
- 1 cup sifted powdered milk
- ⅓ cup condensed milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Mix powdered milk, condensed milk and melted butter in a bowl until dough-like.
- Place a piece of baking paper (approximately 1 ft. x 1 ft) on a flat surface. Dust with confectioner’s sugar. Using a spatula spread the mixture on the baking paper until square-ish. Flatten with a rolling pin or just use your spatula until approximately half an inch.
- Cut the dough into strips, about 2 in x ½ in. Roll them in between the palm of your hands, forming small thin barrels. You can take bigger amount of mixture to make bigger portions but I like them small and tasty with both ends flat.
- Roll in a plate of sugar. You may wrap them in paper or candy sheets. I store them in the fridge all wrapped in baking paper and in a sealed container.